If you’re trying to sneak in more veggies into your diet, this recipe is for you. The subtle sweetness of the bell peppers combined with the hearty meat and the oriental seasoned rice make the perfect dinner treat. Serve it with a leafy salad for some extra vitamines or enjoy them as they are.
Makes 2 large or 3 small servings
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 bell peppers
- 300 g ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 egg
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (390 F).
- Cook rice with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, star anise and bay leaves in a rice cooker or pot. Remove anis and bay leaves when rice is cooked.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Set the tops aside.
- In a bowl, mix together rice, beef, onion, egg, parsley and spices.
- Fill the peppers with the stuffing mix and top them with parmesan cheese.
- Place the peppers with their tops on the side on a baking tray and bake them for 30 minutes.
- Put the tops back on the peppers and serve them hot. Enjoy!